We are a small and growing company that enjoys a prestigious reputation and leadership position in our specific areas of academic and professional book publishing. We employ a dedicated and committed team of professionals who take great pride in our authors and our publications. We are seeking a highly motivated Production Manager to join the team and help us grow the company and continue to deliver the very best in publishing. This person will oversee the management of approximately 60 new titles per year plus reprints, and eBooks.
Manage and coordinate the editorial, design, and production of all titles and related derivative content and products. Work closely with the editorial acquisition team, authors, and other departments to ensure a quality experience throughout. Manage the electronic conversion of content and ensure proper formats. Manage a team of freelance copy editors, freelance designer, and production coordinator.
This is very much a hands-on environment and the candidate must be organized, open to all challenges, and who will do all that is possible to meet deadlines. We work with prestigious academic and professional writers and accordingly expect our team to have solid written and verbal skills.
- Bachelor's degree
- At least five years of production publishing experience, professional and academic a plus.
- Knowledge of and experience with typesetting, print and electronic publishing production process.
- Ability to communicate effectively and work collaboratively.
- Excellent negotiating skills and proven ability to build constructive relationships within and outside of the company.
- Highly motivated with a can-do attitude and the ability to multi-task as required to meet all deadlines.
- Experience in all Microsoft programs (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, etc.); Adobe Creative Suite platforms (Illustrator, InDesign, Photoshop, etc.); and experience with epubs.
- Knowledge of and experience with multiple style guides ( APA, AMA, and Chicago).
If interested, please e-mail a cover letter and resume to Sylvia Mendoza at email@example.com.
No phone calls please.
Unpaid internship with or without course credit
Plural Publishing is a small but growing company that produces leading academic and professional publications in the fields of speech-language pathology, audiology, otolaryngology-head and neck surgery, and special education. We employ a dedicated and committed team of professionals who take great pride in our authors and our publications. Our editorial internship program is designed to introduce college students and/or recent graduates to book publishing, and will provide you with valuable hands-on publishing experience.
This is an unpaid internship with or without course credit to last 3 months from the start date. We prefer someone who can intern 20-25 hours a week, between the hours of 8am and 5pm, Monday through Friday.
About the Internship:The Editorial Intern provides assistance to the editorial team consisting of an Executive Editor, Project Editor, and Editorial Assistant. The Editorial Intern will learn how to perform a variety of duties, including processing submitted manuscripts, mailing contracts to new authors, assisting with permissions requests, and performing tasks such as data entry, scanning and photocopying materials related to our publications. The internship also includes working on special projects, and could also assist other departments on an as-needed basis.
NOTE: This internship does NOT involve writing or editing.
Desired Attributes, Skills and Experience:
- A strong desire to learn about book publishing
- A sophomore/junior/senior working toward BA degree or a recent graduate
- Preferred majors: English, Communications, Journalism, Linguistics, or Communication Sciences and Disorders
- Able to meet deadlines
- Self-directed, can work independently with minimal supervision
- Excellent communication and organizational skills
- Basic computer skills and knowledgeable in MS Word and Excel
If interested, please e-mail a cover letter and resume to Kalie Koscielak at firstname.lastname@example.org. No phone calls please.