Higher Education Inside Sales Representative
Plural Publishing, Inc. publishes a range of professional and academic books and media in the fields of the communication sciences and disorders and related disciplines. We are looking for a hands-on, smart and highly energetic candidate to work part time in a key supporting role in our sales and marketing department. As a small but growing company, our ideal candidate must be a confident, highly organized, multi-skilled self-starter with willingness to learn quickly and deliver what is required to help marketing and sales achieve aggressive growth goals
The Inside Sales Representative will service and sell to an established customer base and is responsible for continued revenue growth and new business development to meet and exceed yearly sales goals. The rep will report competitive information and market trends to marketing and editorial managers and identify prospective authors and reviewers to editorial staff. The rep will develop a thorough understanding of Plural’s mission and products. This position entails daily calls and correspondence to college campuses and connecting with a variety of campus decision makers: instructors, department chairs, bookstore managers, etc.
- Engage in sales call activities to close pending adoptions, upsell additional products, or present potential custom solutions to instructors.
- Develop and maintain relationships with instructors and serve as main contact point for all of the instructor’s needs.
- Articulate features and benefits of our products in light of customer needs and competition.
- Update and maintain customer database and adoption tracking database.
- Report on activities and results to key stakeholders across departments.
- Provide customer feedback to key stakeholders in editorial, marketing, production and finance.
- Identify potential course pack sales opportunities across non-adopting instructors.
- Assist in special sales opportunities by following up on leads and providing product information to buyers.
Qualified candidates should possess the following:
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited 4 year university or college.
- 2 years of publishing experience and/or sales or customer facing experience required.
- The ability to influence decision makers by developing and maintaining your network.
- Superior time management and organizational skills with strong attention to detail.
- Creative and strategic thinker who can identify solutions to meet the customer’s needs and close the sale.
- Contact database management systems experience.
- Able to work fast and maintain a sense of urgency during key selling seasons.
- Excellent verbal, written and digital communication skills.
- Location: San Diego, CA. No relocation assistance available for this position.
- This is a full-time office-based position.
- Some travel (~10%) may be required.
To apply, submit cover letter and resume to email@example.com. No phone calls please.
Unpaid internship with or without course credit
Plural Publishing is a small but growing company that produces leading academic and professional publications in the fields of speech-language pathology, audiology, otolaryngology-head and neck surgery, and special education. We employ a dedicated and committed team of professionals who take great pride in our authors and our publications. Our editorial internship program is designed to introduce college students and/or recent graduates to book publishing, and will provide you with valuable hands-on publishing experience.
This is an unpaid internship with or without course credit to last 3 months from the start date. We prefer someone who can intern 20-25 hours a week, between the hours of 8am and 5pm, Monday through Friday.
About the Internship:The Editorial Intern provides assistance to the editorial team consisting of an Executive Editor, Project Editor, and Editorial Assistant. The Editorial Intern will learn how to perform a variety of duties, including processing submitted manuscripts, mailing contracts to new authors, assisting with permissions requests, and performing tasks such as data entry, scanning and photocopying materials related to our publications. The internship also includes working on special projects, and could also assist other departments on an as-needed basis.
NOTE: This internship does NOT involve writing or editing.
Desired Attributes, Skills and Experience:
- A strong desire to learn about book publishing
- A sophomore/junior/senior working toward BA degree or a recent graduate
- Preferred majors: English, Communications, Journalism, Linguistics, or Communication Sciences and Disorders
- Able to meet deadlines
- Self-directed, can work independently with minimal supervision
- Excellent communication and organizational skills
- Basic computer skills and knowledgeable in MS Word and Excel
If interested, please e-mail a cover letter and resume to Kalie Koscielak at firstname.lastname@example.org. No phone calls please.